Sunday, March 8, 2009

VIII. I discovered citron honey. And Miro.



Pierre and Jacques Prevert with Juan Miro

     This is a 2 week-late post, but, oh well. 

     I had enjoyed a lovely weekend with my lady Lydia, who taught me the wonders of SLR and, well,  house music. It just so happened that the morning we had free was the last day of Miro's exhibit here in Korea. And of course, even though I had yet to go there, the Seongnam Art Center is only one subway stop away. Silly me, never making my way over there...


     At first glance, I was hesitant to give this guy any sort of praise. I was more there for the experience. I thought, heck, any one of my Korean kids could do this. Cool. But then I discovered that they were all lithographs.  
      I've never taken a lithography class while studying art, but, from knowing peers who did, I'm aware of the grueling process. It takes layers and layers of precision, and LOTS of time to finish a piece, and let's just say the scale of his work isn't like the Mona Lisa. 
      Granted, he did create similar paintings, but I gained so much respect and interest in his work after knowing the time and process he went through to create it. I felt pretty ignorant too. 



     
     A main theme throughout Miro's work was the feminine. I was never sure if he was celebrating it or had a grudge towards it (or both), but nevertheless, it was a fun game for my friend and I to try to find the feminine aspects of his work. 


     Miro was from Spain, but his work had a lot of French influence. He even collaborated with poet, Jacques Prevert, which was cute




 
  
      This is one of his older works from 1925. Lots of layers and drizzle. And nothing feminine about it. It's so fun to see how artists perfect their style, or change it even. Anyway, even though this piece isn't as colorful or striking, I like it. 
     So anyway, Miro! might not be my new fav or anything, but I hope people don't judge a book by its cover and really get to know his work. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that absolutely everything from life has something to teach. 

  

 

  Next up, Gustav Klimt at the Seoul Art Center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment